The Civic Aquarium The Civic Aquarium was made on the occasion of International Exhibition of Milan in 1906, considered as one of the best examples of Art Nouveau architecture in Milan, is the only evidence remaining of that Exhibition. The building , destined to remain as an Institute of Hydrobiology , was conceived by the Milanese architect Sebastiano Locati, like a stable construction. The building is of great interest not only for the original architectural structure, but also, for decorations artificial stone and decorative tiles (Richard Ginori). Severely damaged in August 1943 by aerial bombardment, was restored in the 60s preserving its original function. The result of the conservation and redevelopment completed in 2006 (arch. P. De Amicis, arch. L.M. Guffanti), the centenary of its construction, is to recover the rich array of decorative artificial stones and tiles, accompanied, thanks to a demanding intervention on the structures of the building, from the recovery of the interior with the formation of extensive spaces for teaching and for thematic exhibitions, the radical renewal of the exhibition the tanks and the creation of new spaces for public activities such as library, auditoriums, laboratories. It is the third oldest aquarium in europe and offers a detailed vision of all italian aquatic environments.